Walter Gerlach

Walter Gerlach

Walter Gerlach was born in Munich, Germany, in 1889. A brilliant scientist, Gerlach was one of the world's leading figures in the field of physics by the outbreak of the Second World War.

Gerlach was the chief coordinator of nuclear research at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute of Chemistry. However, working with Werner Heisenberg, Carl von Weizsacker and Karl Wirtz Gerlach and his team were unable to develop an atom bomb.

In April, 1945, Allied forces arrested German scientists such as Gerlach, Otto Hahn, Werner Heisenberg, Carl von Weizsacker, Max von Laue and Karl Wirtz. These men were now taken to England where they were questioned to see if they had discovered how to make atomic weapons.

Walter Gerlach died in 1979.

Walter Gerlach

Walter Gerlach (born August 25, 1896 in Gusow , † April 19, 1964 in Haiger ) was a German SS leader , prison director of the Columbiahaus and camp commandant in Sachsenburg concentration camp during the Nazi era .

After completing secondary school and secondary school, Gerlach completed a one-year course at a building trade school as well as training as a bricklayer. As a soldier, Gerlach took part in the First World War between August 1914 and 1918 and was discharged from the army at the end of the war in 1919. Together with his two brothers, Gerlach took over his father's wood goods factory and became the sole managing director there in 1927. Due to high debts, Gerlach had to give up operations in 1930, pay a fine for violating the Reich Insurance Code and take the oath of disclosure.

Gerlach joined the NSDAP ( membership number 307.120) in early September 1930 and the SS (SS number 14.567) in February 1931 . From August 1932 Gerlach became a leader of the 27th SS Standard. Through the intervention of SS-Obergruppenführer Josef Dietrich , Gerlach came to the Gestapa in July 1934 . From August 1, 1934 to November 30, 1934, Gerlach headed the Columbiahaus prison until the Columbiahaus became a concentration camp . His adjutant in the Columbiahaus was Arthur Liebehenschel , who was under him in this capacity at the 27th SS Standard.

From December 1, 1934 to April 20, 1935, Gerlach was camp commandant in Sachsenburg concentration camp . Gerlach then became adjutant to camp commandant Heinrich Deubel in the Dachau concentration camp . After Deubel was replaced as camp commandant by Hans Loritz in April 1936, Gerlach asked for his transfer to the general SS. Because of a brawl in July 1935, Gerlach was sentenced to two months' imprisonment by the Munich regional court and should be from the SS on instructions from RFSS Heinrich Himmler be dismissed. The sentence was converted into a three-year suspended sentence and Gerlach remained in the SS.

From the end of 1938 he led SS Section VII in Königsberg and from 1942 was employed by the Reich Commissioner for the consolidation of German nationality . From 1944 Gerlach headed the office of the Higher SS and Police Leader Günther Pancke in Denmark. Gerlach was arrested on May 30, 1945 and was interned until 1948. On November 14, 1947, Gerlach was heard as a witness during the Nuremberg trials .


From 1915 to 1918, during the war, Gerlach did service with the German Army. He worked on wireless telegraphy at Jena under Max Wien. He also served in the Artillerie-Prüfungskommission under Rudolf Ladenburg. Β] Γ]

Gerlach became a Privatdozent at the University of Tübingen in 1916. A year later, he became a Privatdozent at the Georg-August University of Göttingen. From 1919 to 1920, he was the head of a physics laboratory of Farbenfabriken Elberfeld, formerly Bayer-Werke. Α] Β]

In 1920, he became a teaching assistant and lecturer at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University of Frankfurt am Main. The next year, he took a position as extraordinarius professor at Frankfurt. It was in November 1921/1922 that he and Otto Stern discovered spin quantization in a magnetic field, known as the Stern–Gerlach effect. Α] Δ] Ε] Otto Stern (compare his article) was among the nominees for the physics Nobel Prize in 1943 and was awarded the prize on 9 November 1944. The citation did not mention the highly important Stern-Gerlach experiment which Walther Gerlach finally carried out successfully early in 1922 during the Weimar Republic in the absence of Otto Stern who had already moved on to Rostock, thus withholding the honour from Gerlach in view of his continued activity in "Nazi-led" Germany (oral information from Prof. Dr. Horst Schmidt-Böcking, Institute for nuclear physics, Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe-Universität Frankfurt/Main in 2015, who conserves the unpublished documentation concerning the differing opinions within the Nobel-Committee on the subject of Walther Gerlach. Schmidt-Böcking is also engaged in the physical reassembling of Gerlach's experiment within the planned new Senckenberg-Museum at Frankfurt.

In 1925, Gerlach took a call and became an ordinarius professor at the University of Tübingen, successor to Friedrich Paschen. In 1929, he took a call and became ordinarius professor at the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, successor to Wilhelm Wien. He held this position until May 1945, when he was arrested by the American and British Armed Forces. Α] Γ]

From 1937 until 1945, Gerlach was a member of the supervisory board of the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gesellschaft (KWG). After 1946, he continued to be an influential official in its successor organization after World War II, the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG). Α]

On 1 January 1944, Gerlach officially became head of the physics section of the Reichsforschungsrat (RFR, Reich Research Council) and Bevollmächtigter (plenipotentiary) of nuclear physics, replacing Abraham Esau. In April of that year, he founded the Reichsberichte für Physik, which were official reports appearing as supplements to the Physikalische Zeitschrift. Α]

From May 1945, Gerlach was interned in France and Belgium by British and American Armed Forces under Operation Alsos. From July of that year to January 1946, he was interned in England at Farm Hall under Operation Epsilon, which interned 10 German scientists who were thought to have participated in the development of atomic weapons. Α] Γ] Ζ]

Upon Gerlach's return to Germany in 1946, he became a visiting professor at the University of Bonn. From 1948, he became an ordinarius professor of experimental physics and director of the physics department at the University of Munich, a position he held until 1957. He was also rector of the university from 1948 to 1951. Α]

From 1949 to 1951, Gerlach was the founding president of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, which promotes applied sciences. From 1949 to 1961, he was the vice-president of the Deutsche Gemeinschaft zur Erhaltung und Förderung der Forschung (German Association for the Support and Advancement of Scientific Research) also known in short as the Deutsche Forschungs-Gemeinschaft (DFG), previously the Notgemeinschaft der Deutschen Wissenschaft. Α]

In 1957, Gerlach was a co-signer of the Göttingen Manifesto, which was against rearming the Federal Republic of Germany with atomic weapons. Α]

Walter Gerlach (1889-1947) was one of several scientists captured by the German Freedom Front in 1946. Ώ] It had been Reinhard Heydrich's hope that the scientists might build the GFF an atomic bomb. Karl Wirtz disabused Heydrich of that notion. ΐ]

Nonetheless, Gerlach and his fellows were held in the underground Alpine Redoubt until 1947. When American forces arrived, Heydrich escaped, and ordered Gerlach and several other scientists killed. Α]

Literary Comment [ edit | edit source ]

Gerlach isn't specifically named in the text, but there are several references to the group of ten scientists. There is no reason to think that the Point of Divergence somehow changed the composition of the group.

Stern-Gerlach experiment

Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.

Stern-Gerlach experiment, demonstration of the restricted spatial orientation of atomic and subatomic particles with magnetic polarity, performed in the early 1920s by the German physicists Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. In the experiment, a beam of neutral silver atoms was directed through a set of aligned slits, then through a nonuniform (nonhomogeneous) magnetic field (see Figure ), and onto a cold glass plate. An electrically neutral silver atom is actually an atomic magnet: the spin of an unpaired electron causes the atom to have a north and south pole like a tiny compass needle. In a uniform magnetic field, the atomic magnet, or magnetic dipole, only precesses as the atom moves in the external magnetic field. In a nonuniform magnetic field, the forces on the two poles are not equal, and the silver atom itself is deflected by a slight resultant force, the magnitude and direction of which vary in relation to the orientation of the dipole in the nonuniform field. A beam of neutral silver atoms directed through the apparatus in the absence of the nonuniform magnetic field produces a thin line, in the shape of the slit, on the plate. When the nonuniform magnetic field is applied, the thin line splits lengthwise into two distinct traces, corresponding to just two opposite orientations in space of the silver atoms. If the silver atoms were oriented randomly in space, the trace on the plate would have broadened into a wide area, corresponding to numerous different deflections of the silver atoms. This restricted orientation, called space quantization, is manifested by other atoms and subatomic particles that have nonzero spin (angular momentum), with its associated magnetic polarity, whenever they are subjected to an appropriate nonuniform magnetic field.

This article was most recently revised and updated by William L. Hosch, Associate Editor.

User-friendly Dynamic Mics (1939)

WWII put mic technology on hold for a while, but things began to pick up soon after. Ribbon mics improved thanks to better magnets. The Shure Model 55 Fatboy became a regular site in music circles from 1939. The smaller version, Model Super 55, was affectionately named the Elvis Presley Mic. It was breakthrough technology that used a single dynamic element to achieve pattern control [10].

The Shure Model 55 has become the most iconic model of all time. Modern versions of it continue to sell well to this day. Technology and ideas began to pick up soon after the Fatboy. A Shure engineer named Benjamin Bauer developed the Shure SM57 and SM58 (different grill). SM means Studio Microphone. It was the world’s first single-element directional mic with a cardioid polar pattern [11].

Cardioid Polar Pattern

The cardioid polar pattern became ideal for noisy stages. That’s because the mics are sensitive to sounds from the front, and ignore or at least reduce noise from behind. That makes them perfect for solo vocalists and working in rooms that have poor acoustics. There are three polar patterns—and variations—each with their pros and cons. They are cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-8 [12].

We have many choices of cardioid dynamic mics around today, aside from Shure’s SM57/58. Other favorites among recording artists are the Shure SM7B, the Electro Voice RE-20, the Sennheiser E609 Silver, and the Sennheiser e945 Supercardioid. The options are endless.

Bi-Lo BonusCard

The Bi-Lo BonusCard quickly became a staple among its shoppers after its introduction in 1997, and helped improve loyalty to the brand. It increased the chain&rsquos profits by more than 30% in the same year it launched, according to a book by Brian Woolf, who helped create the rewards card.

Woolf told The News that this was even more impressive because it came at a time when Walmart was expanding into Bi-Lo's market.

Bi-Lo's BonusCard wasn't the first customer loyalty program, but it was among the most successful in the retail grocery industry because it wasn't simply about discounts.

The program was personalized for those who frequently bought items of a certain category with rewards clubs such as wine clubs, baby clubs or pet clubs. It also gave Bi-Lo data about shopping habits and allowed for more targeted coupon programs.

"It ties the customer to the company and it provides the link, so you know who the customer is," Woolf said. "And, (it) also allows the retailer to make offers to one set of customers and not to others."

Share Walter's obituary or write your own to preserve his legacy.

In 1897, in the year that Walter Gerlach was born, on March 4th, William McKinley became the 25th President of the United States. He had beaten William Jennings Bryan in the 1896 election by 51% to 46.7% in the popular vote. Six months into his second term as President, McKinley was assassinated.

In 1904, at the age of just 7 years old, Walter was alive when the Russo-Japanese war began. The Russian Empire and the Japanese Empire began fighting over the territories of Manchuria and Korea. Russia wanted a warm water port on the Pacific Ocean while Japan feared growing encroachment from Russia into Asia. So the Japan fleet launched a surprise attack on the Russian Navy and a one year war began. President Roosevelt of the United States brokered peace between the two nations. It was the first time in the modern era that an Asian power showed its dominance over a European power.

In 1916, by the time he was 19 years old, the Battle of Verdun was fought from February through December. It was the largest and longest battle of World War I, lasting 303 days. The original estimates were 714,231 casualties - 377,231 French and 337,000 German, an average of 70,000 casualties a month. Current estimates are even larger. The Battle of the Somme was also fought from July through September of the same year. Original estimates were 485,000 British and French casualties and 630,000 German casualties.

In 1931, at the age of 34 years old, Walter was alive when in March, “The Star Spangled Banner” officially became the national anthem by congressional resolution. Other songs had previously been used - among them, "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", "God Bless America", and "America the Beautiful". There was fierce debate about making "The Star Spangled Banner" the national anthem - Southerners and veterans organizations supported it, pacifists and educators opposed it.

In 1967, in the year of Walter Gerlach's passing, on October 2nd, Thurgood Marshall was sworn in as the first black US Supreme Court justice. Marshall was the great-grandson of a slave and graduated first in his class at Howard University Law School. His nomination to the Supreme Court was approved by the Senate, 69 to 11.


Gerlach nació en Biebrich, Hessen-Nassau. Estudió en la Universidad de Tubinga desde 1908, y recibió su doctorado en 1912, bajo Friedrich Paschen, siendo el tema de su disertación la medición de la radiación. Después de obtener su doctorado, continuó como asistente de Paschen, lo que había sido desde 1911. Gerlach completó su habilitación en Tubinga en 1916, mientras servía en la Primera Guerra Mundial. [ 2 ] ​

De 1915 a 1918, durante la guerra, Gerlach hizo su servicio en el ejército alemán. Trabajó en la telegrafía sin hilos en Jena bajo la dirección de Max Wien. También se desempeñó en el Artillerie-Prüfungskommission bajo Rudolf Ladenburg. [ 3 ] ​ [ 4 ] ​

Gerlach se convirtió en un docente privado (Privatdozent) en la Universidad de Tubinga en 1916. Un año más tarde, se convirtió en privatdozent en la Universidad Georg-August de Gotinga. De 1919 a 1920, fue el jefe de un laboratorio de física de Farbenfabriken Elberfeld, antiguamente Bayer-Werke. [ 2 ] ​ [ 3 ] ​ En 1920, se convirtió en ayudante de cátedra y profesor de la Universidad Johann Wolfgang Goethe de Frankfurt am Main. Al año siguiente, tomó posesión de una plaza como profesor extraordinario en Frankfurt. En noviembre de 1921 él y Otto Stern descubrieron la cuantización del espín en un campo magnético, conocido como efecto Stern-Gerlach [ 2 ] ​ [ 5 ] ​ [ 6 ] ​

En 1925, Gerlach recibió una oferta y se convirtió en profesor ordinario en la Universidad de Tubinga, sucediendo a Friedrich Paschen. En 1929, recibió una nueva oferta y se convirtió en profesor ordinario en la Universidad Ludwig Maximilians de Múnich, sucediendo a Wilhelm Wien. Ocupó este cargo hasta mayo de 1945, cuando fue arrestado por las fuerzas armadas estadounidenses y británicas. [ 2 ] ​ [ 4 ] ​

Desde 1937 hasta 1945, Gerlach fue miembro del consejo de supervisión de la Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gesellschaft (KWG). Después de 1946, continuó siendo un influyente funcionario en la organización que la sucedió después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, el Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG). [ 2 ] ​

El 1 de enero de 1944, Gerlach se convirtió oficialmente en jefe de la sección de física del Reichsforschungsrat (RFR, Consejo de Investigación del Reich) y Bevollmächtigter (plenipotenciario) de la física nuclear, en sustitución de Abraham Esau. En abril de ese mismo año, fundó la Reichsberichte für Physik, que eran los informes oficiales que aparecieron como complementos del Physikalische Zeitschrift. [ 2 ] ​

Desde mayo de 1945, Gerlach fue internado en Francia y Bélgica por las Fuerzas Armadas británicas y estadounidenses en la Operación Alsos. Desde julio de ese año a enero de 1946, estuvo internado en Inglaterra en la Farm Hall bajo la Operación Epsilon, que internó a 10 científicos alemanes que se creía habían participado en el desarrollo de armas atómicas. [ 2 ] ​ [ 4 ] ​ [ 7 ] ​ Al regreso de Gerlach a Alemania en 1946, se convirtió en profesor visitante en la Universidad de Bonn. Desde 1948, se convirtió en profesor ordinario de física experimental y director del departamento de física de la Universidad de Múnich, cargo que ocupó hasta 1957. También fue rector de la universidad en 1948-1951. [ 2 ] ​

De 1949 a 1951, Gerlach fue el presidente fundador de la Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, que promueve las ciencias aplicadas. De 1949 a 1961, fue vicepresidente de la Deutsche Gemeinschaft und zur Erhaltung Förderung der Forschung (Asociación alemana para el apoyo y promoción de la investigación científica) también conocida en corto como el Deutsche Forschungs-Gemeinschaft (DFG), anteriormente el Notgemeinschaft der Deutschen Wissenschaft. [ 2 ] ​

En 1957, Gerlach fue uno de los cofirmantes del Manifiesto de Gotinga, que estaba contra el rearme de la República Federal de Alemania con armas atómicas. [ 2 ] ​

Fue distinguido en 1959 con la Orden al Mérito de Baviera (Bayerischer Verdienstorden) y en 1970 con la Gran Cruz con Estrella de la Orden del Mérito de la República Federal de Alemania (Großes Bundesverdienstkreuz mit Stern).

Walther Gerlach wurde in Biebrich geboren als Sohn des Hygienikers Valentin Gerlach und seiner Ehefrau Marie geb. Niederhaeuser (1863–1941) [1] . Er ist der ältere Bruder des Pathologen Werner Gerlach und des Arztes Wolfgang Gerlach (Zwillinge).

Gerlach begann 1908 sein Studium an der Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen und wurde im Corps Borussia Tübingen aktiv. [2] Er wurde 1912 unter Friedrich Paschen zum Dr. rer. nat. promoviert und habilitierte sich 1916. Damals beschäftigte er sich mit der Messung der Stefan-Boltzmann-Konstante.

Am 24. August 1915 wurde Gerlach als Landsturmrekrut zum Ersatzbataillon Reserve Infanterie Regiment 247 in die Goisbergkaserne in Ulm einberufen. Er hatte bis dahin keinen Wehrdienst geleistet. Am 4. Dezember 1915 wurde er wegen Krankheit nach Tübingen entlassen er arbeitete weiter an seiner Habilitation. Am 11. Mai 1916 wurde er erneut eingezogen. Max Wien, der auf dem Gebiet der drahtlosen Telegraphie geforscht hatte, holte ihn nach Jena, um an Nachrichtengeräten für den Krieg zu forschen. Im Herbst 1916 nahm Gerlach unter Oberst PRÜGEL mit der VI. Armee an Kämpfen in Flandern und Artois teil. Als technischer Offizier leistete er keinen Waffendienst, wurde aber mit dem Kriegsgeschehen unmittelbar konfrontiert. Am 3. Dezember 1916 wurden (spät) Anzeichen einer Blinddarmentzündung entdeckt, die durchbrach. Am 6. Dezember wurde er operiert. Am 20. Juni 1918 wurde er an die Westfront zur Feldfliegerabteilung 274 geschickt. Dort war er als Fliegerfunker bei einer Infanterie-Begleitbatterie eingesetzt ist und nahm an Kämpfen bei Dun-sur-Meuse teil. Bald nach seiner Ankunft erkrankte er an der Spanischen Grippe und war bis zum 25. August 1918 in Lazaretten. Danach war er bei der Funkversuchskompanie Stahnsdorf. [3]

Seit 1917 war er Privatdozent an der Georg-August-Universität Göttingen. 1919/20 arbeitete er im Physikalischen Labor der Farbenfabriken Elberfeld (später Bayer AG). Er wurde 1921 a.o. Professor an der neuen Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main bei Richard Wachsmuth. Um 1921 konzipierte er mit Otto Stern den Stern-Gerlach-Versuch zum Nachweis der Richtungsquantelung. Der Versuch wurde im Februar 1922 von Gerlach in Frankfurt erfolgreich durchgeführt. Gentner schreibt, dass dieser Versuch, dessen Ergebnis Niels Bohr "im Gegensatz zu anderen" richtig vorausgesagt hatte (weswegen Gerlach das Ergebnis des Experiments in einem Telegramm an Stern in Rostock mit den Worten Bohr hat doch Recht mitteilte), ein für die damalige Zeit "Höchstmass an Experimentierkunst" erforderte. [4] und weiter "damit war die Richtungsquantelung bewiesen". Auf einer Postkarte des kritischen Theoretikers Wolfgang Pauli vom 17. Februar 1922 an Gerlach schrieb Pauli "Jetzt wird hoffentlich auch der ungläubige Stern von der Richtungsquantelung überzeugt sein". [4] Gerlach wurde für diese Arbeit, zusammen mit Stern, 1925 und in elf weiteren Jahren für den Physik-Nobelpreis vorgeschlagen, hat ihn aber nie erhalten. [5] Nach Horst Schmidt-Böcking hatte das Nobelkomitee vermutlich Bedenken, sich wegen Gerlachs Mitarbeit am Reichsforschungsrat und dem Uranprojekt gegen Ende des Krieges zu kompromittieren. [6] Dabei hatte ihn 1944, als der Nobelpreis für Stern beraten wurde, der einflussreiche Physiker Manne Siegbahn mit vorgeschlagen. In der offiziellen Begründung für Stern wurde der Stern-Gerlach-Versuch nicht explizit erwähnt, spielte aber mit Sicherheit eine ausschlaggebende Rolle, wie die Würdigung durch das Komiteemitglied Eric Hulthén im schwedischen Radio 1944 zeigte. [7] Schmidt-Böcking rekonstruierte die originale Versuchsanordnung zum Stern-Gerlach-Versuch das Original ging im Zweiten Weltkrieg verloren. [8] Die Rekonstruktion und erhaltene Originale (ein Mikroskop von Stern und Vakuumpumpen) wurden auf einer Jubiläumsausstellung der Universität Frankfurt 2014 gezeigt. [9]

1924/25 kehrte er als Professor und Nachfolger von Paschen nach Tübingen zurück, unter anderem auf Empfehlung von Albert Einstein. [4] 1929 erhielt Gerlach den Lehrstuhl für Experimentalphysik an der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München als Nachfolger von Wilhelm Wien (auf besonderes Betreiben von Arnold Sommerfeld). Er hatte den Lehrstuhl bis zur Emeritierung 1957 inne. Er war Direktor des 1. Physikalischen Instituts der Universität München. Im Jahr 1940 wurde er zum Mitglied der Leopoldina gewählt. Ab 1943 leitete er die Fachsparte Physik und die Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Kernphysik im Reichsforschungsrat. Zunächst war er Bevollmächtigter des Reichsmarschalls für Kernphysik für das deutsche Uranprojekt, ab 1944 Bevollmächtigter für Kernphysik. Im Rahmen dessen holte er auch eine Anzahl junger Physiker von der Front. [4] Bei Kriegsende wurde er im Rahmen der Operation Epsilon von den Alliierten in Farm Hall interniert. 1946 bis 1948 war er Professor an der Universität Bonn. Er war von 1948 bis 1951 Rektor der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, an der er das Physikalische Institut neu aufbaute. Von 1949 bis 1951 war er auch der erste Präsident der Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft. Von 1951 bis 1961 war er Vizepräsident der Deutschen Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) und von 1956 bis 1957 Präsident der Deutschen Physikalischen Gesellschaft (DPG). Von 1937 bis 1946 war Gerlach Mitglied im Senat der Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gesellschaft.

Nach dem Krieg war er aktiv im Wiederaufbau der Naturwissenschaften in Deutschland. So war er am Aufbau der Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes beteiligt, war Senator der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft und am Aufbau der Physikalisch-Technischen Bundesanstalt in Braunschweig beteiligt. [4] Gerlach war Mitinitiator und Unterzeichner der Tübinger Resolution vom 1. Oktober 1951: Die nach 1945 berechtigt erhobene Forderung nach Leistungssteigerung sei in Gefahr, das geistige Leben durch die Fülle des Stoffes zu ersticken. „Die Durchdringung des Wesentlichen der Unterrichtsgegenstände hat den unbedingten Vorrang vor jeder Ausweitung des stofflichen Bereiches.“ Er unterzeichnete 1957 die Erklärung der Göttinger Achtzehn, einer Gruppe von 18 Kernphysikern, die sich gegen die geplante atomare Bewaffnung der Bundeswehr wandten. [10]

Er bestimmte 1923 mit Alice Golsen den Strahlungsdruck. Außerdem befasste er sich mit der Temperaturabhängigkeit magnetischer Eigenschaften mit Anwendungen in der Industrie, dem Zusammenhang von Atombau und Magnetismus, dem Photoelektrischen Effekt, Wärmestrahlung und er bestimmte das Bohrsche Magneton. 1930 bis 1936 veröffentlichte er eine dreibändige Monographie über quantitative chemische Spektralanalyse. Später befasste er sich mit natürlicher und von Menschen (Atombombenversuche in den 1950er Jahren) verursachter Radioaktivität in der Umwelt. In öffentlichen Vorträgen trat er in den 1950er Jahren für einen Stop der Atombombentests ein. [4]

Gerlach schrieb einige populärwissenschaftliche Bücher über Physik und Biographien von Otto Hahn (mit dem er lange Jahre eng befreundet war), [4] Johannes Kepler und Michael Faraday. Er war Herausgeber des Fischer-Lexikons Physik und schrieb Abschnitte zur Physikgeschichte in der Propyläen Weltgeschichte. Gerlach befasste sich lange Zeit intensiv mit Kepler und war 1962–1972 Vorsitzender der Kepler-Gesellschaft in Keplers Geburtsort Weil der Stadt. In München war er für die große Experimentalphysikvorlesung bekannt, mit Demonstrationsexperimenten, die an die bekannte Göttinger Vorlesung von Robert Wichard Pohl heranreichten.

Gerlach war in erster Ehe seit dem 29. September 1917 mit Mina Metzger (geb. 1889) verheiratet sie hatten eine Tochter Ursula (geb. 1918). In zweiter Ehe (München, 18. April 1939) war er mit der Kinderärztin Dr. med. Ruth Probst (1905–1994) [1] verheiratet. Er starb 1979 in München und wurde auf dem dortigen Waldfriedhof beigesetzt. [1]

Watch the video: Walter Hates 2020 - Jeff Dunhams Completely Unrehearsed Last-Minute Pandemic Holiday Special